Welcome!

****This blog is no longer updated at this address! Come check it out at http://thinkandgrowchick.com. All of the archives are available there as well****

This site is my online journal that documents my attempts to reach various goals inspired by the principles found in the book, Think and Grow Rich. Join me as I strive to meet financial goals, fashion goals, school goals, hair-care goals, and everything in between. I hope that other young women will relate and find my journey useful to read about; this blog is for me as much as it is for women seeking resources for personal development and freedom. To get a daily dose, follow me on twitter and facebook...and don't forget to follow my blog!

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

About

Hello and welcome to my blog!

By reading the title of this blog, you've probably noticed that I'm relating to Napoleon Hill's classic book, Think and Grow Rich. If you haven't heard of this book, it chronicles "the secret" to being rich per Hill's study of wealthy men over 20 years.I originally read the book a few years ago, but didn't finish it due to the book's frustrating habit of never saying out right what this "secret" to wealth was. It wasn't until attending an entrepreneurship conference in June 2009 that one of the motivational speakers present laid it all out for a small group of us to understand. According to chapter 2 of the book, America's wealthiest individuals become so because they:

  1. Fix in their mind exactly what it is they desire
  2. Determine what they intend to give in exchange for what they desire
  3. Establish a definite time for when they intend to possess what it is they desire
  4. Create a definite plan
  5. Write out a statement for what it is they want and the time limit for its acquisition
  6. Read their written statement aloud twice daily

The motivational speaker was so adamant about the aforementioned steps that she placed them on a laminated notecard and passed them out to us. "This will change your life," she said. This blog will ultimately see if she's correct.

To be clear, this blog is not about getting rich. If the above Think and Grow Rich steps have any merit, then they should be able to help someone do a lot more than just be rich. What if money's not an issue, but staying organized is? What if you're dying to lose 10 pounds? Write a book? Get a 4.0? Get fluent in Arabic? Become a fashion designer?

As a 20-something college girl living in a big city, my goals are numerous yet very specific. I want a 3.5 this semester as much as I want an extensive vintage wardrobe. I want to start a business on campus as much as I want to grow a huge afro. The point is, I'm always attempting to "think and grow" into something; what better way to see if such a famous book works then by applying it to my own life?

Therefore, I am the Think & Grow Chick and this blog is both my online journal and a running how-to guide for "chicks who want to do everything". ;-)

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to following your blog. I admire you for sharing you story and your goal with so many people. I want to accomplish so much in life but my confidence and lack of a real plan have held me back for a while. I am 28 years old and I have embarked on my own journey of trying to figure out what I want in life. My first step was moving more than 3,000 miles away from where I was and it has helped give me some clarity. My next goals are financial independence and and fostering good relationships with others. I know you will accomplish everything you have set out to do and luckily you had the mindset at a young age to want to make a better life for your self. I admire your tenacity. Best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog! I have been labeled the girl who can do everything and even though that is sooo not true, I do like to do alot. So I was really drawn to your tag line. I recently did the BC and am starting to dive into my passions in life so I can relate to the above post and hope you continue to keep reaching for your goals!

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=3bd2f4427f43f1386120f167118c739c