Welcome!

****This blog is no longer updated at this address! Come check it out at http://thinkandgrowchick.com. All of the archives are available there as well****

This site is my online journal that documents my attempts to reach various goals inspired by the principles found in the book, Think and Grow Rich. Join me as I strive to meet financial goals, fashion goals, school goals, hair-care goals, and everything in between. I hope that other young women will relate and find my journey useful to read about; this blog is for me as much as it is for women seeking resources for personal development and freedom. To get a daily dose, follow me on twitter and facebook...and don't forget to follow my blog!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

New Years Hair Update


If you remember a few posts back, I talked about how I wanted a new hair look for the New Year. I put up a few pictures of looks I decided I was going to go for and said that I was saving up some money so I could get to the salon and make it all happen. Well, because I've been flagrant in my neglect to update you all with my subsequent hair decision after that post, today's post is dedicated to my new hair regimen and styles that I actually decided to go through with for the New Year.

For starters, I did in fact head to "The Dominican's" (pre-financial apocalypse, of course) to get my hair straightened.



Maybe it's because of my increasing skill in doing my hair myself, but to be honest, I was not really impressed with the final results. Yes my hair was soft, yes it was shiny (and no, this picture doesn't really do it justice) but I can't say I was super impressed. If I can ever save up enough money to get my hands on a Maxiglide, I have a sneaking suspicion that I can do a much better job myself. But I digress...The whole point of me getting my hair straightened was to determined whether or not I wanted to go through with the Heidi Klum haircut I featured in my last hair post.

I must say, I'm glad I had my hair straightened on a separate salon visit first, because once I saw the state of my hair and how long my bangs were—I just couldn't go through with the cut. In fact, I couldn't go through with anything...no cut, no color, no nothing.



Why couldn't I go through with my painstakingly planned New Year's hair makeover, you ask? For two reasons:

(1) My hair was so raggedy! I knew I was being abusive to my locks with all the rough combing and sleeping on cotton pillow cases but WOW! The above picture features my hair AFTER the stylist trimmed it. Look at all those scraggly, fly-away ends! I ended up trimming it again myself the next day because I was so horrified with the condition of my hair. Needless to say, I just felt that it would be reckless to go experimenting with new haircuts and hair colors as my hair needed some serious TLC.

(2) I was actually really surprised at how long my hair was once it was straightened. Like I said before, I've been an abusive parent to my tresses and I assumed that I was going to face a lot of breakage, leaving me with shorter hair. To my luck, I did not have a lot of breakage and even retained some length—the trade off was that I had to deal with an exorbitant amount of split ends instead. Nevertheless, seeing the length (however meager) renewed my desire for a head of healthy, long hair. Thus, scissors are officially out of the question and my new hair goal for New Years and beyond is armpit length, or "APL" status.

Since that week of straight hair, I have since been on a mad dash to find the perfect combination of products and techniques for a new "growing my hair" regimen. I've been on forums, read blogs, and watched youtube videos to get an idea of the things to try and so far...I think I've been pretty successful :-) Stay tuned for an upcoming post on my new regimen and different techniques I've been trying with my hair.

Have you ever had plans for your do, but changed you mind once you actually got to the salon? Are you currently on a "grow my hair" challenge yourself? What are you doing to ensure "hair success"? Share your comments below.

4 comments:

  1. I'm currently growing my relaxer out, I've tried once before but I wasn't disciplined enough. Right now, I'm about 10 weeks post relaxer so I have a long way to go. When I used to live up North I would frequent the "Dominicanas" every week. Your post brought back memories...Anyway, as for me I'm hoping I can do my best with this new growth by keeping my hair moisturized, I'll also be checking your future post on your current regiment for some insight as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to decide how to best wear my hair and treat it to grow it out. I'm natural but sometimes I want to flat iron and when I do.....the results are always horrendous. My Dominican visits are FABULOUS and I just can't replicate them at home. And I still don't feel comfortable wearing a wash n go every day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beautyxchangegirl Yay for being 10 weeks post! Growing a relaxer out is a BEAST, I can remember! I'm trying to focus on more moisture as well so we'll see how that goes. My new hair routine is interesting...stay tuned.

    @Diva I have yet to meet a FABULOUS Dominican salon in the DC/MD/VA area. All that I've gone to are okay, but nothing really to right home about. Maybe I just don't know where to look :-/ I know when I get my hands on that Maxiglide hair straightener, I will be one happy chick tho...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man do I miss those dominican salons in the DMV!! Anywho, I wanted to color my hair for the new year but am really afraid of how it will affect my hair. If I get the courage though, I may try henna for a natural coloring though. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=3bd2f4427f43f1386120f167118c739c